Friday, October 19, 2007

Gegenschein

(Background of stars courtesy Rob Ratkowski. Used with permission.)

Later that night it was calm and clear w/ lots of meteors coming in from Orion (Orionids peak on the 21st at 2200 UT), lot more Saturday night than the base sporatics, so Saturday night/Sunday early ought to be a pretty good time. I'll have 2 cameras shooting all night and maybe I'll get a few good shots. I did see the 'Gegenschein' on saturday night. This is the faint antisolar point, the counterglow seen only from DARK sites. I know Haleakala is dark but Mauna Kea is darker and away from big city light pollution so I would suspect that the Gegenschein is even more visible. My next big project will be to image the Kordylewski Clouds, 1 to 2 magnitudes dimmer than the Gegenschein this will be hard. I am counting on the fact we are at solar min and the K Clouds are about 1 mag brighter because the solar wind doesn't blow the dust away that forms the clouds. Photo of the Gegenschein it's the light spot left of center, bright cluster is Pleiades w/ the Andromeda Galaxy, bottom rt. of center

RC> Yet to learn how the Wind moves in a Microclimate,
Gegenschein, Kordylewski Clouds, Andromeda, Plieades
When Mankind gets to them, sometime this Millenium?
Will I be alive to feel them, or have the Dough in this Life

No comments: